We’ve recently heard of numerous CDOT project proposals to expand C-470 and widen I-25 from Loveland to Ft. Collins. The expansion of I-25 between 120th Ave and the Northwest Parkway/E-470 is expected to be complete in winter 2018/2019.
What about the main southern artery into Erie that many of us use to get to I-25 and beyond?
State Highway 7 Study
CDOT conducted a planning study in 2014 which proposed numerous improvements to SH 7, including:
- Fairly little change between US 287 to 119th Street with some minor widening.
- 119th Street to Sheridan Parkway would “be expanded to two 12‐foot (ft) travel lanes in each direction, a center median, and 12‐ft shoulders on each side.”
- Since Sheridan Parkway to York Street “will experience the greatest amount of growth projected in the corridor, [it] will require three 12‐ft travel lanes in each direction” by 2035.
- The I-25 interchange will be improved; one option is to move to a diverting diamond interchange (DDI) similar to the one at Hwy 36 and McCaslin Blvd.
- The plan includes “bicycle and pedestrian facilities along the full length of the SH 7 corridor.”
Download the full report from https://www.codot.gov/projects/sh7pel/final-pel-study-report/sh-7-pel-study-february-2014/view
As a Trustee, I will work diligently with the Town to ensure these improvements are fast-tracked. The residential and commercial growth of the area demands it.
Intelligent Transportation System
In November 2016, CDOT completed a $3 million project to install fiber optic cable along SH 7 between I-25 and US 287. This project was another step towards CDOT’s vision for an Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) to support enhanced traffic monitoring and driverless cars.
Keeping Up To Date
Visit http://subscription.cotrip.org/ if you’d like to be updated with news about CDOT projects.